Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Of Mumbai locals and wierd neighbours !

Hmm so back after a long - never ending ordeal called exams. Talking of exams, I would ahem ...take this opportunity to thank the holy soul who invented the "" jherox"" machine ....well atleast thats what they are known here ...they sure saved the day for me ""ekzham time pe jherox machine ke sshtaal par bahut gardi rehti hai"" uuggh ...what am i doing ? mebbe the exams have taken their their toll ... came down too heavily on me ... i guess. But talking of the peculiar mumbaiya ishtyle of pronouncing words ... they sure can be funny! Take the railway stations for instance ... its not uncommon to find a sizable chunk pronouncing it as "" tesan""...And then there are the T-rex sized hoarding for TYBC, SYBC .... kyu caunk gaye na ? na na tis not the name of any bank but third yr bcom ,second yr bcom.... blah blah ...

Talking of locals I remember this incident when i first set foot mumbai !

me : (meekly) bhaiya kanjurmarg aane me kitna time lagega?
the grizzly guy next to me : (no reply .. don't bother me i did not hear anything)
me: (mustering all available courage i had and mildy tapping him)
the grizzly guy next to me : teen tesan chodke
me : (happy ! ) thank you.
the grizzly guy next to me : (""as if i cared if you dint thank me ""look )
me : (looking at ppl rushing towards one side of the door) station kis side ayega?
the grizzly guy next to me : ye baju girega
me : (OMG ! kaun girega? .. but then with the exceptional mental calibre that i possess it took me no time to figure out he was talking about the station coming on that side)

restless 15 minutes wait .. fidgeting with the handles, my luggage ...wallet and what not

me : abhi kitna time aur lagega?
the grizzly guy next to me : main bolega !
me : (sigh) ok
after 5 mins
me : abhi kitna time aur hai?
the grizzly guy next to me : (giving me a stare as if i had just been caught dating his wife) MAIN BOLEGA !
me : [thinking !]....(i better shut up.. one more time i ask him this question and he throws me out this train)
3 mins after this
the grizzly guy next to me : salaa salaa tesan ala

the best part is that he even helped me get my luggage out!

aisa hi hai mumbai ! may look rough and rude on the outside but very soft and helpful within.

so much for my first experience of locals.

Talking of trains ... had just been home and boy ! what a ""vacation"" i had ... hoped that i had never gone there there in the first place ... rahu ketu aur unki poori team mere peeche with a vengeance !

I land up early in the morning ... and dear mumma brings a lavish b'fast on to the table for famish me and "" ting tong "" goes the doorbell. I go and open it .. and there our chotu neighbour ! ""bhaiya tarzan ka sir foot gaya "" tarzan -- bole to uska aur chotu bhai.

Now this guy is a chalta firta frankenstein with all cuts and bruises ...he has the entire map of india on his face ! He is as old as the number of stiches he has on his body.Over enthu and agile as he is ... this time after a bath the dude thought of playing tarzan over the dining table chairs but alas .... ! So then it was me to te rescue! up ... up...and away .. rushing to the hospi ... and three hours later the number of stiches exceeded his age !

That chapter over .... there was lots more to come ... flat tyres ,terrible heat, dead fone ,and what not !and finally my chutti ended with just very little time for mumma. :( . Anyways now that i am back and have vented out some steam i hope to plan another trip and this time hope to spend more time wid mumma.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

....thats not the same mumbai as I see it...

Anonymous said...

the boy and tarzan one especially " He is as old as the number of stiches he has on his body." is fabulous part and good imagination :)

Anonymous said...

abe reallz..this is the mumbai...and u shud be happy bcoz u atleast u got to go home..some ppl like cudnt even go...n dont generalize the jherox machine thing..bcoy its helpful for u only but not for the "guys who r regular" like me..main to sare jheroxes pahle hi kara leta hoon.. ;) though this keyboard is weird (in german), i think i m not making any mistakes...

nice blog.. :)

Anonymous said...

End it nicely! >:P

-Hg

Anonymous said...

Lolz !! Gawd after exams breaks are heavenly !!!

And Tarzan ki baat hi alag hai :P :))

Funny post ...and yes the locals and simple minded ppl are the best everywhere......

:)

Anonymous said...

It seems the exams have indeed taken a toll! The article lacks the usual forte manifest in its predecessors. Too much inclination towards colloquial language is also responsible for stealing the joy of reading. Sunmay, you need to juggle a much better one to compensate for the letdown!

Anonymous said...

~laughs~

Its been over a year since i have landed in Mumbai.. I was in a state of shock for a few days seeing the crowd, noise and filth around... But I guess mumbai is a plc dat grows on u..

"aisa hi hai mumbai! may look rough and rude on the outside but very soft and helpful within".. Hw true...

I guess u develope a love-hate relationshp wid the city.. U luv a lot of things and u hate a lot of things at the same time.. But whenevr i think of Mumbai I have an intoxicating feeling abt it that seems to pull me to it..

Enjy in Amchi Mumbai..

:)

..Me

Anonymous said...

after reading ur blogs i feel like writing one, seriously!! in this one i laughed out loud in that conversation part with mumbaiya language...but i believe u should have not mixed mumbai locals and weird neighbours. nice work, keep it up...lookin forward to read more

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

haha..so this is mumbai.
..and station kitni der mein "baju mein gira"? :)))))
that was funny..how could i miss that! :O

intersting conversation..feeling sorry for you. :P